Monday, April 04, 2005

Maiden Voyage

I'm really doing it! I'm starting a weblog. I didn't even know what one was a couple of months ago. This is my first blog and only my second website. I'm working on a third, and have plans for others (mostly business sites). I'll eventually try to get paid for doing this.

I've been wanting to create websites for years now, but for whatever reason, I never got to it. I think I was just intimidated. I created my first site in November, and published it Thanksgiving Day. I created it for my volunteer group at God's Love We Deliver. We meet every Thursday night from 6-9. I've been volunteering in the kitchen at God's Love off and on for about seven years. We're a pretty close bunch over there, so I wanted to create a way for us to stay connected. I came up with the idea to create an email newsletter. I wanted one of those HTML types you always get from people selling stuff, but I couldn't figure out how they were done so I did a website instead. I actually thought of doing both—having the website support the newsletter—but thought better of it. (I tend to get in a little over my head with new ideas.)

I created the site using this web-based platform called Sitebuilder that came free with my Verizon DSL account. It was pretty easy, though at times a pain in the ass. I completed the site in about 5 days, but messed it up playing with HTML code. I had to reconstruct the whole site. Thankfully, it was only 7 pages. After taking a couple of days to cool off and lick my wounds, it took about an hour and change to set it back up.

Altogether it took a week to get the site up. I call it "Thurs.Night." I created a cool little logo for it and it's gotten a lot of positive feedback from the group, as well as some God's Love staff. I even got permission to use the God's Love logo on the site. No objections so far.

Here's the link: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeogayy

That URL gets on my nerves. Just the fact that I memorized it is such an incredible waste of brain space. I'll be getting a real domain name soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home