Saturday, May 07, 2005

The Light Bright Project

I've been so consumed with blogging lately that I'm starting to neglect other projects. These aren't paid projects (thankfully), but are still important.

I've been working on something called The Light Bright Project started by my photographer friend Patrick as his way of giving back to the community. He enlists some of his photog friends to go into an elementary school and teach children about photography for a few weeks. This is Light Bright's third year. They've worked with older kids in the past (12-14) but this year they're working with fifth graders.

They start out with a few in-class lectures showing slides to teach the basic rules, then give the kids small cameras, a couple of rolls of film (one color, one b/w), and have them go out and shoot. After processing the film, the photographers help the students choose a photo from each roll and let them critique each other's work. The project is concluded with an exhibition of the students' framed photos.

I was asked to videotape some of these sessions and create a 10 minute reel which will be looped over and over at the exhibit. So far I haven't even looked at the footage yet. I still have to log it, capture it into the computer, and figure out some way to make it work. On top of that, it's been a while since I've edited anything, so I'm a bit rusty with Final Cut Pro. I know that once I get started, it should be fine (you know, the whole 'riding a bike' thing), but I've got to get out of the blogosphere long enough to do it. Thankfully, I only have about a couple hours footage to deal with.

The crazy thing is I offered to do this. I wanted to get back into editing so I "magnanimously" offered my services. I'll let you know if I did the right thing or not.

To learn more about The Light Bright Project check out Patrick's site: ptmulcahy.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Modigliani said...

This seems like a way-cool project! I teach 5th grade, and I can only imagine how much the kids must have loved doing this! I'm off to check out Patrick Mulcahy's site.

Glad I found you! You rock!

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home