Thursday, October 26, 2006

Serendipity at S.O.B.'s


It's amazing how things work sometimes. I didn't want to go by myself to see Floetry, but it was the best thing that could have happened.

As the Universe would have it, I couldn't get a single soul to go with me last night. I thought I had a couple of takers, but they fell through, so I went alone. I was a little anxious about selling the ticket, but it turned out fine. There was a guy waiting outside to do the exact same thing, so at least I had company. After a short wait, two women came up to the door. It appeared as if they were being turned away, so I asked if they needed tickets. They said yes, and both I and the guy, who also had a single ticket, sold them ours on the spot. I was just relieved to be rid of that ticket. It was like a weight had been lifted off me. Now I could enjoy the show. My only beef was that the show was standing only. Not my idea of a good time.

Now for Part Two. After finding a good place to stand, I looked down and saw a woman I know named Roz, whom I'd met last year through another friend at another show. She happened to be one of the promoters that evening, so not only did I see Floetry, I ended up in the VIP section—sitting (although I did end up standing most of the time dancing anyway), drinking free Alizé (which was not the best thing I could have done after just being sick). I also got "backstage" to meet them afterwards, which probably never would have happened if my original plans went through.

Small world that it is, I also ran into Verinia, a woman I met last year through the African American Women In Cinema Organization, who just "happened" to be working with Roz that night, so I went from going alone to having a few people to hang with. Pretty cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home