Tuesday, May 17, 2005

A Night at the Blue Note


Allyson2
Alyson Williams tearin' it up at the Blue Note!

I finally got a chance to go to the Blue Note Jazz Club last night thanks to my friend Dawn. Although I was born and raised in NYC, I've never crossed the threshhold of this landmark establishment. It's a shame, but pretty common for native New Yorkers not to see all the sights. The last Broadway show I saw was 2 years ago, and before that, maybe 10.

There was a couple at our table from Holland who were in the US, and at the Blue Note, for the first time. The other folk at our table were from the south, but I'm not exactly sure where; the accent sounded Texan. I also heard there were people there from Japan and other places. Japan has no shortage of Blue Note clubs; there must be about four of them there.

The featured artist last night was Alyson Williams. She had an R&B hit back in the 90's, Just Call My Name, which I love, so I was anxious to see her perform live. Unfortunately, she didn't sing it, but instead chose to do a full jazz set including old standards and covers of some more recent pop songs like Simply Red's Holding Back The Years. She did her thing though, so I had no complaints.

I was surprised by how small the stage was at the Blue Note, but I do like an intimate setting. Another friend of ours, Allen, also came, and although it was a tight fit at our table we had great seats, and a great time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home