Friday, February 22, 2008

Everybody Neti Now!

In keeping with my quest for perfect health I’ve started the ancient Indian practice of neti, aka nasal washing, nasal irrigation, or (my personal favorite) nasal douching. It’s where you use a specially designed “pot” filled with warm salt water to clean out your nasal passages.

I’ve known about this practice for quite a while, maybe a couple of years, and desired to buy a neti pot, but procrastination (as usual) got the better of me. It wasn’t until I saw Dr. Oz on the Oprah show describing the practice in detail, and heard some of the testimonies from the audience, that I finally decided to purchase one.

Neti pots come in different shapes and sizes, but the basic design is the same. As the picture shows, there’s a bowl with a spout that’s inserted into your nostril. I ordered mine from the Himalayan Institute. I love their design because it reminds me of Aladdin’s lamp (which I’m sure was the idea). I got the starter kit which includes the neti pot, a jar of salt, and a bottle of herbal wash that you add to the water for extra health benefits.

It took a little getting used to, but I’ve pretty much got the hang of it (it’s been about 3 weeks now). I told some folks about it and they seem at least curious if not completely interested. My sister ordered hers right away though. I’m very anxious to hear what her first experience is like.

For those with any kind of sinus problems or allergies, like me, I highly recommend it. So far, so good. The real test is when allergy season comes around…and it’s not that far off.

FYI: If you want to get a preview of what the neti craze is about, check out these vids on YouTube.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home