Sunday, August 28, 2005

A Little Starstruck

My last two posts have been about videoblogging in general, and Ryanne Hodson in particular. I never would have believed I'd have the opportunity to meet her in person; at least not the way I did—or this soon.

Me & Ryanne

Yesterday, as I'm watching her latest post, she mentions that she and some other vloggers will be down at the Apple Store giving a presentation. I thought nothing of it at first since it could have been any Apple Store. Then I stop for a second, realizing that she does live in New York now, and that it could possibly be, and probably is, the Apple Store in NYC. It was about 4pm at that time, so I decided to check the Apple Store website just to be sure it wasn't over. Turns out, the presentation wasn't until 7, so I still had enough time to get down there.

When I got there, they hadn't started yet, so I tried to get as close to the front as possible to get some shots (of course, I brought my camera). Once I got myself settled, I look up, and there they were—Ryanne and her boyfriend Jay Dedman, another vlogger who's also presenting. (They actually met through their blogs!) After setting up, they started the presentation. I did know some of what they were talking about since I had already posted video to this blog, but I was glad for some other information I got. Most of all, I was really inspired to do more.

Jay & Me

After it was over, I made my way over to Ryanne and introduced myself. I actually reintroduced myself, since we met a few days earlier by email. (It is amazing how much better—and smaller—people look in person.) She remembered me and introduced me to Jay. We talked for a while, took pictures, and they invited me to join them and the others for dinner. I accepted, and had a great time with them and the other vloggers.

Even though they aren't celebrities per se, I was more taken with them than by almost any celebrity I've seen in person. Everyday I'm in Ryanne's world, learning about her and her life, now here she is smack in the middle of mine; a very surreal experience. I've never met anyone online before, so that added another dimension to the whole thing. She and Jay are the nicest, most gracious people (and they're quite the cute couple, too). They were actually amazed at the fact that I saw the post and responded to it. That just shows how truly powerful blogging, and the internet is. I've definitely got to post more videos now to keep myself in the loop.

For anyone in the NYC area, they're going to be back at the Apple Store the last Saturday in September. So if you're not doing anything, come on out and meet the vloggers.

9 Comments:

Blogger ryanne said...

so glad to have met you
keep it up!
-ry

12:04 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Thanks Ryanne,

And thanks for returning my email. I've actually been looking at vlogs all day. I'm learning a lot and am getting a few ideas. I'll keep you posted.

P.S. Say hi to Jay for me.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Jay Dedman said...

hey melanie...this is what its all about. i think its difficult for people to understand that this is how the world SHOULD work. people are essentially good, but we are all so isolated.
we are told the world is scary.
now that i can read/watch your blog...i can learn who you are...we can connect.
DIRECTLY.
so thanks for coming to the presentation.
get up some more video!!!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

I agree that people are isolated and afraid. The irony is that as solitary as it is to be holed up in a room on a computer, you can make the most intimate and profound connections with people, especially through this medium.

Although technology has finally caught up with us in so many ways, we need to keep up with it so we can get the most out of it. That's why people like you and Ryanne are so important. You guys are out there teaching people how to do this stuff, and making it easier for them to do more. Like you said, it's about connecting directly with each other and cutting out the middleman of corporate media.

And don't worry, I'll definitely be getting on some stuff up soon.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Modigliani said...

Great pictures! Fabulous story! How EXCITING!!!!
I agree that life itself should be an adventure. I've met ppl in person that I've connected with online, and I've never regretted it. I personally hate the thought of living my life from a place of fear. It's so much more rewarding and fun to live it all from a place of adventure!!!

Wish I lived closer, cause that whole expereince sounds WAY COOL!!!

Congrats, Mel, on your first time meeting bloggers/vloggers! Woo-hoo!!!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Thanks Mo. It was a very cool experience. The great thing about all this is that you can live anywhere and be a part of it. As much as you like to travel, I'm sure you'll get back to NYC at some point, and I'll finally get to meet you too.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Modigliani said...

Oh definitely! I'll be to NYC sometime soon, I'm sure. And I'll be sure to let you know so we can meet in person! COOL! :)

5:27 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

I met my husband online! No joke, he was new to the country and posted an online ad to meet people, I responded, we struck up an e-mail exchange, met for a date 3mos later, and were married a year after that. I think it's wonderful to get to know someone by their words before an in person meeting, and I've always had very good experiences with online peoples!

11:19 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Wow! There seems to be lots of "computer love" going around these days. I have a friend (the one I talked about from California) who also met his wife online. And Ryanne & Jay, as I just mentioned, also met online through their video blogs, and now cohabitate in NYC. I also read about a couple blogging their marriage vows. I don't know if that's ever been done before, or how the logistics of it worked, but I hope it works out for them.

I agree that it's nice to get to know someone through words (or video, as the case might be) before meeting in person. Even though you've never physically met each other, you've already gotten past some of the awkward 'getting-to-know-you' stage, although there's still the initial weirdness of actually seeing this person in the flesh. I do believe it moves the process along a little smoother though.

As for me, I'll just keep connecting and see what happens.

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home