Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Vlogging Revisited

Been checking out videoblogs again. Every so often I like to see what's happening in the vlogosphere, particularly Ryanne Hodson's site, which I love. She's been a real pioneer in all this, and is a wealth of information about the whole vlogging universe. She and her collaborator, Michael Verdi, have a site called Freevlog, that's basically an online instruction manual for anyone wanting to post videos on their blogs, or create a blog totally dedicated to video. They start right from the beginning and walk you through the whole process using video clips and images.

I started investigating vlogging a few months ago (see previous post), and have only managed to get one video up so far, but I'd definitely like to do more. The thing is, there's a lot more involved with it than text blogging. It's just so much easier to write, edit, and post. Even though it takes a while (as I'm somewhat anal about the editing), I can get a text post up in about an hour or less. Vlogging, on the other hand, requires shooting the video, editing the video, compressing the video, uploading it to a server, and finally posting the video to your blog, which could take days for one post. (I'm sure the hardcore vloggers can knock them out much faster.) I'm not afraid of the technicalities of it, but it's a whole different process, with a whole different mindset, and takes a helluva lot more time.

I have to say, they do inspire me in so many ways. I'm just astounded by the stuff these people come up with. Some of these videos are downright stupid, but with others, the honesty and openness can be quite profound. We're talking the ultimate in reality "TV" here. Slices of life from real, everyday people, not some already overexposed D-list/has-been/wannabe celebrities.

I've got to start making time to put some stuff together. I'm pretty camera shy, so don't look to see too much of me at first. Over time, I'll probably step out of my shell a little more.

3 Comments:

Blogger Modigliani said...

I've seen that vlog guide before. Those two ROCK!!! Someday I'm gonna try it, too! Can't wait...

till then I may have to start stalking Ryanne's site! LOL!

11:28 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

If your text blogs are any indicator, I think you'd make a most excellent vlogger. Can't wait for your first post!

I'm a big fan of Ryanne's too. I actually reposted her clip before getting her permission, but she said it was cool. I hate being a pirate, but I just had to share this ASAP.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

vlogger, that's a new one for me!

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home