Friday, July 15, 2005

Radio Online…So Sublime

I was talking music last week with my friend Naama, who's a bartender/waitress at Cody's, the spot we go to after our shift at God's Love We Deliver on Thursday nights. As she was trying to find something interesting to play on their satellite TV radio, we got onto the subject of internet radio. Since she has no TV at home, she really gets into the online thing, and was pretty acquainted with internet radio. Come to find, we have similar tastes in music, though hers is a bit more eclectic.

I originally discovered internet radio maybe about three years ago through my iTunes when I first got DSL. I absolutely loved that there were no commercials. I also loved that I was able to hear something different than what was on regular radio (aka "terrestrial" radio). The beauty of internet radio is that you almost never hear the same song twice, and you get music of all genres from all over the world. The continuous rotation of the same songs can get—to say the least—redundant, with even songs you like getting on your nerves after a while.

I've only been back online for about six months or so after a year-and-a-half hiatus, so I'm still reacquainting myself with everything. I've been listening to internet radio again for about a week, and it's been such a joy I can't believe it. No commercials! None whatsoever!! I almost forgot how great that is. The only interruptions are station ID's and music promos, which I could live without, but they're no comparison to 10 minutes worth of ads every 5 minutes.

I don't know if I'll ever have a reason to go back to regular radio.

7 Comments:

Blogger Modigliani said...

I love the internet radio, too. And discovered it on my iTunes, too!!!

How cool!

One station that's cool is radio david byrne - you can find it under eclectic in the iTunes radio section.
Check it out. He's always got, well, a very ECLECTIC mix going on! LOL!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

I just checked out David Byrne's station and they had nothing but French music playing. A little out of my purview, but interesting nonetheless. I'll try again later.

Maybe my buddy Naama will like it. She's into the French/Euro stuff. I think knowing the language is a huge part of understanding any music, although not an absolute necessity.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

That is so cool that you are involved with GLWD! My mother started a very similar - but much smaller - organization in South Jersey. I've actually been working on a website for it. Good for you!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Modigliani said...

hey mel ~ David Byrne is always mixing up that playlist. Always a different theme or obsession of the month. So, check back in a few weeks and you'll see something totally different!

Brooke~ I see you all over this blog-o-sphere!!! LOL!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Hi Brooke,

I always see you on Mo's blog and am glad you decided to cross over to studio635.

There can never be too many people helping others, so big-ups to your mom for all her efforts. Let me know when the site's up and I'll check it out.

The site I created for the Thursday night volunteers ("Thurs. Night") is down right now, as I'm working on my own site, but when it's back up I'll definitely post about it.


Hey Mo,

I'll definitely check out Radio David Burne again another time. Right now I've got Groove Salad going. I'm really loving the ambient thing at nights.

11:41 PM  
Blogger geokker said...

BBC Radio 6 is THE station to listen to for music. No ads, no boy bands or multi-headware, mumbling, stumbling, Gangsta rap. Just the vast back catalog muscle of the BBC. I live in the UK and I pay for the BBC. On the internet, people can listen for free. Damn them!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Thanks for the heads-up, geokker. I'll see if I can find it and check it out.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home