Monday, July 04, 2005

Live8 Update



I watched parts of the Live8 concert on Saturday, and have been wanting to say something about it. I just had to learn more first, so I went online and did a little research. I'm not the most political sort, so I wasn't at all familiar with this whole G8 thing.

From the Live8 site, I ended up on the site of the ONE campaign that's tied in with it. I'd been seeing those black-and-white ads with all the celebrities and was curious as to what it was all about. The more I read, the more sense it made and the more I got into it. The site even had a speech by Nelson Mandela that I watched, and was moved by (and what ultimately made me sign on).

The premise is pretty simple. The organizers of Live8 and the ONE organization want to impress upon the world leaders meeting at the G8 Summit in Scotland on July 6 to do something about the overwhelming situation in Africa where people, especially children, are dying by the thousands from starvation and AIDS on a daily basis.

On the website, they're asking people to sign a petition asking G8 leaders to cancel debts owed to African countries, to increase aid, and to change trade laws giving poor nations a better chance to prosper and develop on their own.

It so amazing to me how they've used technology, especially the internet, to get their message out. The results have been staggering. What's even cooler is that they have blogs set up just for people to voice their opinions. I've checked out the ONE blog and it's pretty awesome. I've already blogrolled it. I'm also going to add myself to their blogroll. I just wanted to get this post up first. It's a great way to keep up with what's happening and get different points of view. Click to read BBC article.

Whether or not all this makes an impact on the G8 leaders, it's definitely brought about an awareness of the situation that exists in Africa today, especially to the youth. It just boggles the mind that things could still exist like this in 2005. It doesn't speak well for any of us when we bitch and moan about such little things in our lives, when all these people want to do is just live. It's a tall order, but I pray the next generation will meet the ultimate goal to "make poverty history."

Although it can be hard to wrap our minds around, we've got to start believing that the power of one CAN make a difference. I'm just glad I'm on board (can't wait to get my wristbands).

6 Comments:

Blogger Modigliani said...

Oh yea, they have those white wristbands, don't they?

I didn't get to check out any of the Live8 concerts, but it amazes me that 20 years later, Bob Geldof is still at it! I heard that his efforts with LiveAid were crushed in the end because of the corrupt folks in charge of the poor countries in Africa way back then in the 80's.

This seems like a more do-able feat this time around. Especially with the power of technology today - blogs, etc. I heard that there are over 30,000 pics of Live8 on flickr accounts alone! Pretty amazing.

I hope that this outpour will WAKE UP the powerful folks who get to make decisions for the rest of the world!!! And it's nice to see most ppl get behind the idea of getting rid of poverty.

Thanks for the links, too! I'm off to check it out!
(see - the power of blogging already at work!)
cool!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Modigliani said...

Hey... that was cool! I sent my picture to them on that one part that said "We don't want your money - we want your picture" ... and also signed the US petition.

The blog was cool, too!

:)

7:51 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

I knew there was something I forgot to do. I was so busy watching all the films and linking everywhere, I didn't send the picture! Thanks for reminding me.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

For some reason, it wouldn't upload my picture. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. Anyway, Mo, thanks for checking it out and signing up.

11:56 PM  
Blogger Modigliani said...

hey Mel,

just wanted to let you know i picked up that book at the library: Write it Down, Make it Happen.

I've only read a few pages so far, but I already like it! thanks for the tip.

:)

11:20 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Hey Mo,

Glad you liked the book. I pulled it out so I can read it again myself. I feel like I'm ready to make some things happen in my own life right now.

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home