Wednesday, June 29, 2005

To Comment or Not to Comment …

I'm still trying to get a grip on this commenting thing with the blogs. Sometimes I don't know where to post a comment. Do I do it on my blog or on theirs—or both? Or do I email them? I've done all of the above and it can be a little confusing. Sometimes I feel so rude if I don't comment, but when I comment in too many places it feels redundant. And when I comment in my own blog I'm not sure they actually get to see it and I'll still look rude. It's also weird to get an email telling me that I made a comment to my own blog. (Can you feel my pain?)

My blogbud MoDigli's got a pretty good system going. In her blog, she comments in response to everyone else's comments. Is that how it's supposed to be? It seems to work so well for her. She also comments on other people's blogs. It seems like everyone just gets into the flow of it. It's like she's got her own call-in (OK, write-in) talk show going on with a regular set of guests. Or one of those telephone party lines, just cheaper and more intelligent.

Well, Mo, if you read this just keep doing what your doing. It's working great for you, and I'm glad to be a part of it. I just hope I can figure this thing out before I totally offend and confuse everybody. :-)

4 Comments:

Blogger Lorianne said...

Everyone seems to do the comment thing differently. I try to respond to comments on my site, and I usually email a copy of my response to the commenter to remind/encourage them to come back. :-)

I also *try* to visit the blogs of folks who comment on mine, but with a blogroll as long as mine, sometimes I can't keep up!

I think it's important, though, to be a "good neighbor" in the blogosphere. If I want people to read my site, I have to show an interest in theirs, too. If someone says "hi" to me on the street every day & I never respond, they're going to stop saying "hi." So I try to answer comments & email, although sometimes it's difficult.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Modigliani said...

hey! great ideas, there, loriann. I totally agree.

I like to get a little conversation going in my comments. also, for me I feel that if I took the time to comment on someone else's blog, I want to go back there to see what the owner of the site might have said back to me; or even what other readers might possibly say to me. So yeah, I'll go back to where I left the comment to see if I got a comment back within that space.

Now, this opens up the whole idea of blogging as a timesuck! It takes a lot of time... I enjoy being my own little Oprah (talk show hostess that you said I was! haha) but I do need to monitor my blog time. It can get to be too much sometimes! Still, I'm having fun with it.

I say do what works for you. And don't worry about offending others. I've never felt offended or confused by anything you've written.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Modigliani said...

PS. BTW, see how you got me to respond to you on YOUR OWN BLOG!?!!! ....

I say trust that ppl are reading and coming back to read more. :)

11:03 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Thanks to both of you for helping me wade through the mire of all this. I do believe in being reciprocal with others in the blogosphere, that's why this has been such an issue for me. There are still some folks I haven't touched base with yet, but I know I can't worry about that. I'll eventually get to them. (Lorianne, you're at the top of the list. :-))

Mo, you're definitely on point about the time thing. The hours can easily roll by between reading, posting, and commenting. As much as I love this blogging stuff, there are other aspects of life to attend to.

I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and have faith that it'll all come together in time.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home