Friday, July 29, 2005

Enough Is Enough

After a very long time of knowing better, and making many meager attempts, I've decided to get myself on a health kick—for real this time. In the past, whenever I'd start a new exercise program I'd automatically start eating better. Unfortunately, it's never lasted more than three or four months at a time.

Although I was never what you'd call "small" (at least since before puberty), weight was never my issue when I started working out. I just wanted to get fit. I figured, if I did the right things, the weight would just fall off. The last thing I ever wanted to do was get caught up in that dieting trap (which always seemed like a boat going nowhere), so I never went that route. One thing I did was give up red meat quite a while back, and I've stuck to that. For religious reasons, I never did do the pork or shellfish thing. I still don't eat pork, but since I'm no longer practicing my religion, I do indulge in a little seafood from time to time, especially shrimp, which I love.

Now I'm about to give up just about everything I love, especially sweets, and take on a macrobiotic diet. It may seem extreme, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and I'm at the end of my rope. I've been dealing with a specific health issue for a while now, and I refuse to be cut on. Doctors are so quick to want to whip out the knife, and are so convinced that it's the only possible solution to your problems (next to drugs, of course), that they have you believing it as well. It's never about "if" surgery is the answer, only "which kind" of surgery. There are about three or four procedures they can do for my situation, with varying degrees of extremity. Outside of a coin toss, or drawing straws, I guess it would all boil down to which one would leave the smallest scar.

It's not that I'm against doctors, but there are so many things that people can do to heal themselves, but are unwilling to try because they either want a quick fix, are unwilling to make the necessary sacrifices, or just don't know better. Well, as I've heard all my life, when you know better you do better. The thing is, that kind of "knowledge" is not on an intellectual level. There are too many smart people out there doing incredibly stupid things to themselves. It's on a much deeper emotional and spiritual level. They say that the soul knows, and when the soul's had enough, then that's when the change comes. I guess now my soul's had enough. Although my condition isn't life threatening, the truth is, I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired.

My sister, who's going through the same thing as I am, made her decision to change things, and has been on this eating plan for about four months. I haven't seen her in a while, but she says she feels a lot better and has dropped four dress sizes. That's enough for me. I was making plans for surgery, but after that testimony, I'll be putting it off indefinitely.

I've only started changing my eating habits for about a week now, and it hasn't been easy, but I believe letting go of my sweet tooth will be well worth it to be rid of this problem for good.

4 Comments:

Blogger Modigliani said...

mel ~ all the best of luck! it's not easy trying to change over to a new plan, and then stick to it.

I've also heard that it takes 21 days (or is it 30?) to develop a habit. So, maybe if you can make it to that point, it will be a habit to east macrobiotically.

What's the deal with that, anyway? Isn't it like all brown rice and cooked foods or something? I think Madonna used to SWEAR by it. And check out HER bod! Dang!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Thanks Mo,

I'm really just learning about it all myself. I've been checking out sites and ordered a couple of books.

The site I was looking at today, Macrobiotics America, had a pretty good description of the whole thing.

It's actually more of a lifestyle thing than just the eating. I don't know how deep I'll get into the whole philosophy of it since I'm not exactly the agrarian type. I'll just have to take it one meal at a time, and pray I'll make it past the first 30 days. :-)

11:59 PM  
Blogger Modigliani said...

Well, hey Mel... can't be *THAT* hard... just listen to this quote I took right from your link:

"For the one who really wants an adventurous life, macrobiotics awaits you."

Already that sounds better than cake and ice cream and fast food! LOL!!! ;)

2:53 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Thanks for the understanding, Tangee. It isn't easy, but so far I'm doing pretty well.

I've seen you comment on Mo's blog; thanks for checking me out too.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home