Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Still Adjusting

Eating has become a whole new experience for me now. Since I started on this "conscious" diet a month ago, my whole relationship with food has changed. It used to be that I'd just get up and eat whatever was convenient, which usually meant less than healthy. Now I've actually got to THINK about it. I also have to plan for it, shop for it, and—COOK IT.

Since my mom and I live together, I admit to having been spoiled about this stuff. The kitchen is basically her domain and I honor and respect that (i.e. keep my ass out). I used to try cooking years ago, but having her "suggest" how I should do everything became a little too much and I backed off. I've continued to do some things, but nothing major. I really got into baking which I loved (even thought about being a pastry chef), but the extra 30 lbs. I put on "testing" everything put an end to that dream quick fast.

Now I MUST cook or I don't eat—at least nothing I'm supposed to. Mom's being very supportive though. She's always been health conscious, so what I'm doing isn't completely foreign to her, but she doesn't completely understand everything. I'm still learning about macrobiotics myself, so it's kind of hard explaining it to her, especially the whole yin-yang thing. Her Christian sensibilities aren't quite ready for the Tao of Eating. Despite that, I try to explain some things, but I still get some resistance. "Is this going to be cold? I never heard of rice in a salad," or "Whenever I've eaten quinoa, it's always been plain, like a rice," or "Where is your protein coming from?" Or some other suggestion of what to leave out or put in.

The best part is when she insists on making something the minute I say I'm going to make it, then gets upset when I say it has to be done a certain way. I'm not trying to step on her culinary toes, but in order for me to stick with this, I've got to be fully invested—cooking and all. And I've got to know what goes in everything I eat as much as possible. The thing is, it's hard to explain all that without pressing the insult button.

I don't like arguing with her because I'm always going to be perceived as sensitive and defensive. I just have to learn not to share so much; do what I'm doing and not say anything. But it's not easy. We're very close and she does help me with purchasing some of the ingredients when my money's low (which is most of the time). And our health store trips have become real bonding events. I guess I just have to be patient with her—and me. I'm sure it'll get better as we go along.

2 Comments:

Blogger Modigliani said...

It's interesting how much of an issue food can be within a family/household. Changes in eating behaviors can have big effects on relationships.

Staying with my grandmother in FLA had me going thru similar stuff. The kitchen has been HER DOMAIN for her whole life. But she's getting older and it's tough for her to get in there and cook like she used to. I try to take over and help out, but y'know: it's never quite right, it's not her way, etc.

I know my issue is a bit different than yours. But it's just weird how much food effects our lives and families.

It sounds like you and mom are getting over the humps during these changes in a pretty good way. I'm sure it will take time. And more time. And then a little more time after that! LOL!

You've been sticking with this for a while now, Mel! You should be proud of yourself. Have you noticed changes in health/energy?

:))

2:07 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Hey Mo,
I remember you talking about your own kitchen drama with your Bela. There is a particular dynamic that happens when two generations of women enter a kitchen.

In my case, it's even more interesting because some of the social part of eating with Mom, and others, has changed. There's definitely an adjustment period going on, but so far so good. When I stop to think about it, I have to say that I am pretty proud of myself for sticking with it.

I have noticed small changes, especially around "that time of the month." I wasn't nearly as wiped out this time as I usually get, but it's still too early to see anything significant.

1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home