Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Marry Your Baby Daddy Day

Trust me, it only sounds ghetto!

Photo: REUTERS/Seth Wenig

Last Thursday I skipped God's Love night to help shoot Marry Your Baby Daddy Day in Brooklyn. This was a day when 10 lucky couples got the opportunity to get married with all the trimmings, free of charge. Everything from the dresses, to the rings, to the cake, was sponsored. Unfortunately for me, so was the video, so I didn't get paid. I held out as long as I could from doing it, but when my friend Perry, who I shoot weddings with, asked me to help him out, and couldn't get anyone else to do it, I reluctantly agreed. I'm glad I did, because it turned out to be a very beautiful, classy affair—despite the name.

It was also surprisingly organized, considering you had 10 couples dealing with. Sure, there've been mass weddings with hundreds of couples, but not with each one saying their vows and exchanging rings individually. The organizers obviously worked very hard and planned this thing to the hilt. They even had 10 individual cakes for them to cut at the reception with each couple getting their own photo op.

It turned out to be quite the press event as well, as ABC, UPN, The Daily News, and the Associated Press, showed up, among other local New York outlets. Even Japanese television was on hand to cover this thing. (God only knows why!) During the church service, the whole balcony was full of press, and me.

Overall, I got some pretty good footage. Once it's all edited up I'll post a little clip so you can see what all the fuss was about. In the meantime, you can check out these links:

Marry Your Baby Daddy (the official website)
NY1 News

2 Comments:

Blogger Modigliani said...

Wow! What an event! You do the coolest stuff, Mel. Did you ever read that book, btw? I've never heard of it, but it's kinda neat that it inspired such an event.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

I never heard of the book either till the event came around. I was actually surprised to learn it was a novel and not a how-to book. It is amazing how one thing can spawn something bigger than itself.

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home