Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Panthers and Tigers and ANTs … OH MY!

Get Fireant
Last night I finally upgraded to Panther. Yes, Panther, not Tiger. As I'm usually late with these things, I've been using Jaguar for only a few months. (For those who don't know, I'm talking about the Mac OS, not some Seigfried & Roy thing.) Because I wanted to download FireANT, the video aggregator, and it can only run on OS 10.3 (Panther) and above (Tiger), I didn't have much choice. As I'm not about to spend $100 for Tiger, and could get Panther for free, I went that route.

I've been checking out FireANT this morning and it's pretty cool. The main difference between FireANT and NetNewsWire, which I've been using, is that you have to actually download the videos into your hard drive, as opposed to viewing them online through a browser. If you've got the space then no problem, otherwise it could be. What's also cool about FireANT is that it plays any kind of video—Quicktime, Windows Media, Real, etc. I don't have to worry about not having this or that player. One size fits all.

Now I've got an aggregator just for videoblogs. That's all I need, another reason to spend time online!

See video of co-founder, Josh Kinberg, talking about FireANT on xolo.tv.

2 Comments:

Blogger Modigliani said...

hey Mel,
I have a powerbook laptop and just upgraded to Tiger. Not like I ever really got Panther, though. Oy! This stuff moves too fast, doesn't it?

9:18 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

It's ridiculous how fast it all moves. I'm already feeling like I'm outgrowing my computer, and I haven't even finished paying for it yet! Now I've got to get more RAM to keep up with the new (old) OS. Sheesh!

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home